Sunday, September 15, 2013

C4T

Information is Beautiful: Jenny Luca

In her "School's out Friday: Information is Beautiful" post, Jenny Luca explains David McCandless's website "Information is Beautiful." She talks about how she shared this video with her class and how they were blown away with what they saw. The way the information is presented grabbed her students attention, in the same way the website grabs your attention. She is going to allow her students to use this same visual in a presentation they will be doing on their own.

My Response

I explained how this post blew my mind! I literally had to watch it three different times to get a complete intake on it! To see what the U.S spends money on is actually quite interesting, but it is even more interesting to see find important to spend money one, such a video games. The fact that the actual cost of the war in Iraq was that much more is astonishing! I agree with your students, using the visuals to explain the text helped me understand what I was looking at so much more. As I was navigating through the shared website, “Information is Beautiful, I found myself clicking on the links just to read about them. A round of applause to David McCandless for such an awesome page!! Twenty minutes later, I was still looking around the website!!

"The Type" and "The Crickets Have Arthritis": Jenny Luca

In this post, Jenny Luca talks about how she shared these videos with her students, along with other spoken word poetry performances. She says that she hopes the video "The Type" will plant a seed in her student's lives and one day they will return to it. During the video "The Crickets have Arthritis" there was no sound other than Shane's voice as her students watched.

My Response
Wow! As I search for words to say, I wipe the tears from my eyes. Both videos were AMAZING! I am utterly speechless at the moment. Sarah Kay’s video is definitely a video every girl, including myself, needs to hear. What an awesome message! I am so very glad you share this with your students, I wish I had a teacher share this with me when I was younger! Shane Koyczan‘s video brought tears to my eyes! Just like you said, for the six minutes and forty six seconds he spoke, there was not a sound! I couldn’t take my eyes off the screen! You know its sad, like Shane brought to our attention, how often we take this life given to us for granted. But when we come across people like Lewis, fighting for each breath he takes, we begin to become a little more thankful. Why does it take people like this to open our minds? Why does it take life bringing you to your knees before you look up and realize you have been life like you are promised tomorrow. Why does it take people like Lewis to make us realize we ALL have a purpose in this life, and we don’t have forever to find it?Thank you, so much, for sharing this!

No comments:

Post a Comment